And so another year comes to a close with the hope of a better year ahead in 2022. Happy New Year from our entire team at KGAY & Gay Desert Guide to you and yours!
I could think of no better words to share with you, dear readers, than those of Max Ehrmann from 1927. I first heard of Desiderata when a Leonard Nimoy spoken word version was satirized by National Lampoon Radio Hour in the 70s.
Before you view the video I dug up, my wish is that the original words will give you hope for the new year. Do you remember?:
“Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.”
So take a moment to reflect and make whatever New Year’s resolutions you may. We have another year of uncertainty ahead punctuated by nearly two years of COVID. We need good news, good cheer and reassuring words to forge ahead.
Brad Fuhr, your Gay Desert Guide & KGAY 106.5 Palm Springs
P.S. If you’re not getting the weekly “Oasis Insiders” newsletter, please sign up today so we can stay in touch.
Note: Due to the current spike in COVID cases, please check ahead when making plans over the next few weeks as many events may possibly be canceled, attractions may temporarily close or have hours scaled back. For example Sunnylands is closed temporarily through at least Tuesday January 4, and the Palm Springs International Film Festival has been canceled:
CANCELED: Palm Springs International Film Festival
Based on the current rise of COVID cases, the Palm Springs International Film Society has announced that the 33rd Annual Film Festival will not take place this year from January 7-17, 2022. This follows the cancellation of the January 6 Film Awards. Those who have purchased festival tickets and passes will receive a refund. For most, the refund will be returned to their original method of payment. At this time Palm Springs ShortFest is scheduled to return June 21–27, 2022. The Film Festival and Film Awards will return to an in-person event in January 2023. Don’t let that pretty logo merch go to waste: for a limited time, Destination PSP is offering 50% off all Palm Springs Film Festival merchandise! Learn more
🥳 New Year’s Eve Preview 🥂
Here’s a taste of the choices you have for ringing in the New Year in Greater Palm Springs!
- Agua Caliente Casinos’ Light it Up: Three parties at each of the Agua Caliente Casinos: Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, and Cathedral City, with live entertainment, food trucks, indoor and outdoor dance parties.
- Streetbar will have party favors, tasty food, a midnight champagne toast, and as always, no cover charge.
- Oscar’s presents A Dragasaur’s New Year’s Eve, with Gypsy, Sherry Vine, Varla Jean Merman, and Heklina.
- Chill Bar has DJ Lee Dagger of Bimbo Jones, with Go-Go men, party favors, and champagne toast.
- Eagle 501 has music from DJ Sir Doggy, free champagne toast, no cover.
- One Eleven Bar has a New Year’s Eve celebration with Vanity Halston, admission includes champagne, lite bites, and a show.
- The Amigo Room at the Ace Hotel has DJ Cut Chemist spinning funk, soul, disco and boogie, plus special surprise guests.
- The Roost Lounge has a Gennine Jackson Dinner Show, then Disco 54 with hosts Anita Rose and Alexander Rodriguez with performances, favors, trivia, appetizers, and a toast.
- V Wine Lounge has Bill Lohnes performing, exciting cocktails, delightful wine selection and yummy bites.
- Eight4Nine has Keisha D and Hearts of Soul performing.
- Barracks Bar has a New Year’s Eve Bash by Megawoof, featuring beefy Go-Go’s and very special guest DJs Catz ‘n Dogz.
- The Purple Room Supper Club has 3 seatings with performances by Rose Mallett and Sharon Sills, with party favors and champagne toast at the last seating.
- The Saguaro presents Drag Me to 2022, a disco gala with comedy, disco, holiday surprises and treats for all, hosted by Miss Rusty Waters.
- Trunks Bar has Anita Treadmill and Divas on the Dancefloor, then a Country Dance Party with DJ Stephen, champagne toasts at 9pm and midnight.
- AMP Sports Lounge has a Hot Desert Disco with a SHADE Drag Show, DJ Fishcoteque, and a Midnight Money Balloon Drop with champagne toast.
- Playoffs Sports Bar is celebrating in the style of “The Great Gatsby,” so don your finest 20’s attire and come for DJ music and champagne toast.
- AsiaSF Palm Springs has canceled their New Year’s Eve Party out of an abundance of COVID caution, and they’re currently scheduled to reopen with dinner shows on January 7.
Brothers of the Desert Legacy Gala: A Mask’d Ball
Each New Year’s Eve, Brothers of the Desert showcases a fun-filled Legacy Gala, featuring great food, music, dancing, silent auction, and a champagne toast. This dinner and fundraiser takes place on Friday, December 31 at 8:00 p.m. at Margaritaville Resort in Palm Springs and masquerade attire is encouraged. Proceeds go to support the mission of Brothers of the Desert and their focus on building a stronger community of Black Gay men and allies in the Coachella Valley and beyond, and the event is open to anyone who supports this mission. Get tickets